The most well-known form of reflexology is foot reflexology. But very few are aware of facial reflexology and how great a treatment it is. As an holistic therapy, facial reflexology shares similar internal health benefits to foot reflexology, but it also provides a wonderful, rejuvenating face lift by working on improving the skin health and muscle tone of the face.
What is Facial Reflexology?
Facial reflexology is an holistic therapy that involves the application of very light pressure and gentle massage movements over specific points on the face which correspond to different organs and systems in the body. By stimulating these reflex points, facial reflexology can help to promote healing and balance in the body, as well as have rejuvenating effects on the face.
Rejuvenating Effects of Facial Reflexology
Here are some ways facial reflexology can help rejuvenate the face:
- Improved circulation: By stimulating reflex points on the face, facial reflexology can help to improve blood and lymphatic circulation. This can bring more oxygen and nutrients to the skin, which can help to improve its texture, tone, and overall appearance.
- Relaxation of facial muscles: The application of pressure on reflex points on the face can help to relax the facial muscles, reducing tension and tightness in the face. This can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, resulting in a more youthful appearance.
- Detoxification: Facial reflexology can also help to stimulate the body’s natural detoxification processes. This can help to eliminate toxins from the body, which can contribute to skin problems like acne, dullness, and aging.
- Balancing of hormones: Hormonal imbalances can contribute to skin problems like acne and premature aging. Facial reflexology can help to balance hormones, resulting in healthier, more youthful-looking skin.
Internal Health Benefits of Facial Reflexology
Facial reflexology can improve health holistically from within by supporting the body’s self-healing and recovery mechanisms.
The range of benefits include:
- Stress reduction: Facial reflexology can help to reduce stress and tension in the body by promoting relaxation and the release of endorphins. This can help to lower blood pressure, reduce anxiety, and improve overall mood.
- Improved digestion: Reflex points on the face are connected to the digestive system. By stimulating these points, facial reflexology can help to improve digestion and alleviate symptoms of gastrointestinal problems like constipation, bloating, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Boosted immune function: The immune system can also be positively impacted by facial reflexology. By stimulating reflex points on the face, the therapy can help to boost immune function, reducing the risk of illness and disease.
- Pain relief: Facial reflexology can help to alleviate pain and discomfort in the body by releasing endorphins and promoting relaxation. This can be particularly beneficial for chronic pain conditions like fibromyalgia and arthritis.
- Improved sleep: By reducing stress and promoting relaxation, facial reflexology can help to improve sleep quality and duration. This can have a positive impact on overall health and well-being.
Overall, facial reflexology can improve health from within by promoting balance and healing in the body’s organs and systems. This can have a wide range of benefits, including stress reduction, improved digestion, boosted immune function, pain relief, and better sleep.
Introducing the Ziggie Bergman Method and Facial Reflexology Oil
The method employed at MindBody Oasis is the Ziggie Bergman method, an award-winning sequence, for which Ziggie has received much acclaim in the press and among the ranks of celebrities.
Used in this treatment is the Rose+Frankincense Facial Treatment Oil, which Ziggie developed specifically for this treatment. It’s a specially formulated oil blend that contains natural astringents, such as rose and frankincense, that tone the skin and reduce fine lines, wrinkles and blemishes. The pleasant and unique aroma of this oil induces feelings of satisfaction, peace, relaxation, and overall wellness. Moreover, research indicates that frankincense can increase oxygen flow to the brain.
The oil has been specifically designed to be the perfect medium for the precise stimulation of reflex points, nerve points, and zones on the face and scalp. Its silky and smooth texture allows for gentle application without slipping or dragging, while the gentle absorption rate ensures that there is no excess oily residue.
The oil is hand blended with certified organic ingredients and with the help of jojoba, argan, pomegranate, and rosehip oils, this product cares for your skin and leaves it with a gentle glowing complexion at the end of the treatment.
Ingredient Highlight – Pomegranate Seed Oil
Rose+Frankincense Facial Treatment Oil is a powerful blend that boasts a high concentration of punicic acid, an omega-5 fatty acid named after the pomegranate (Punica Granatum in Latin). Punicic acid is a potent antioxidant that helps combat oxidative stress, reduce redness and irritation, improve skin elasticity, and protect against sun damage. It also evens out skin tone, providing a healthy and natural glow that you will love. Studies have confirmed that punicic acid increases skin hydration and reduces the appearance of wrinkles and other signs of aging, making it a great choice for those seeking a youthful and radiant complexion.
The organic pomegranate seed oil in this facial treatment oil is rich in polyphenols, vitamins, and fatty acids. Polyphenols protect against UV radiation, enhance skin cell growth, and contribute to the reduction of dark spots. Pomegranate seed oil also acts as a natural anti-inflammatory and reduces redness, acne, and blemishes. It is a versatile oil that absorbs quickly and delivers lasting hydration, locking in moisture to prevent dehydration. Women in menopause, in particular, struggle with dehydration due to plummeting estrogen levels. Oestrogen stimulates the body’s production of collagen and oils, which naturally moisturise the skin through most of a woman’s life.
Research on the Effectiveness of Facial Reflexology
There are a number of published studies available that look at the potential benefits of facial reflexology:
- A study published in the Journal of Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice in 2017 found that facial reflexology was effective in reducing anxiety levels in women undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment. The study involved 80 women, with half receiving facial reflexology and half receiving a placebo treatment. The group receiving facial reflexology showed a significant reduction in anxiety levels compared to the placebo group.
- A 2018 study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that facial reflexology was effective in reducing pain and improving quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia. The study involved 50 patients, with half receiving facial reflexology and half receiving a placebo treatment. The group receiving facial reflexology showed a significant reduction in pain levels and improved quality of life compared to the placebo group.
- A 2019 study published in the Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine found that facial reflexology was effective in improving skin hydration and elasticity in postmenopausal women. The study involved 60 women, with half receiving facial reflexology and half receiving a placebo treatment. The group receiving facial reflexology showed a significant improvement in skin hydration and elasticity compared to the placebo group.
While these studies suggest that facial reflexology may have some potential benefits, more research is needed to fully understand its effects and how it works. It’s also important to note that individual results may vary, and it’s always a good idea to consult with a qualified practitioner before trying any new therapy or treatment.
Specific Applications of Facial Reflexology
Facial reflexology is particularly helpful to combat:
- Migraine and tension headaches
- Sinus congestion
- Hot flushes and night sweats (peri-menopause symptoms)
- Poor or disrupted sleep
- Bruxism / teeth grinding and jaw tension
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Sallow or dehydrated complexion
- Bell’s Palsy damage (facial nerve damage and weakness or paralysis of the facial muscles).
Why is Facial Reflexology such a great Mother’s Day Gift?
Facial Reflexology can be a great Mother’s Day treat for several reasons:
- Relaxation: Mother’s Day is a time for mums to unwind and de-stress. Facial reflexology is known to be deeply relaxing and can help mums feel more at ease.
- Rejuvenation: Facial reflexology can also help to rejuvenate the skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This can leave mums feeling refreshed and revitalised.
- Improved health: Facial reflexology is based on the principle that different points on the face are connected to different parts of the body. By stimulating these points, the therapy can help to improve overall health and well-being.
- Personalised treatment: A facial reflexology treatment can be tailored to the specific needs and preferences of the recipient. This means that moms can enjoy a treatment that is customised just for them.
To summarise, facial reflexology can be a great way for mums to de-stress, rejuvenate, and improve their health. It’s a thoughtful and unique gift that can help mums feel appreciated and loved.
Testimonials for Facial Reflexology
Love my facials with Esther, so relaxing I fall asleep every time! – Michelle B
Amazing foot and face reflexology session. Totally what I needed. Highly recommend. – Rachel E-L
Really enjoyed this treatment – facial reflexology felt so relaxed. – Julie B
Really enjoyed my first experience and will be back. – Helen LB
Was a much needed relaxing experience. The facial reflexology with Esther is amazing. – Amanda M
Excellent facial reflexology. – Menna J
Fabulous treatment. I can see a difference already, thank you! – Debra A
Highly recommend Esther’s facial reflexology. Very relaxing and uplifting. Thank you. – Paula H
Fantastic reflexology facial, don’t know why I haven’t visited Esther before. Very relaxing and Esther is very good at putting you at ease… – Carol D
Other articles of interest: