Massage is the manipulation of soft tissues of the body using manual or mechanical methods. It can be used for relaxation, stimulation or rehabilitation of the whole body or part of it. It encourages suppleness of the muscles, improves circulation, drainage of lymph / toxins from the body and reduces stress.
The word “Massage” originates from many different languages. In Latin “massa” means “that which forms a lump”, with massage seen as a technique for removing “lumpiness” of the body and making it smoother. In Greek, massein means “to knead” and kneading is one of the key movements in massage therapy. In French “masser” means “to rub” and the fundamentals of all massage is rubbing the skin and tissues. In Arabic, “mass” means “to touch or feel” – again fundamental elements of massage.
In many parts of the world massage therapy is highly respected as an holistic healing method. However, in the UK the benefits are still under-stated and many people do not consider it an important part of self-care nor do they fully recognise its key function in the prevention of illness and disease.
Massage has huge short-term and long-term physiological and psychological benefits.
In the short-term massage will:
- improve skin tone and colour by removing dead cells and increasing blood supply to the skin;
- improve circulation therefore ensuring more efficient delivery of nutrients and oxygen to the cells;
- drain lymph and accelerate waste / toxin removal;
- speed up digestion;
- promote general relaxation and well-being;
- encourage deeper, more efficient and relaxed breathing and sleep;
- reduce stress, anxiety and depression;
- relieve muscle fatigue, soreness and stiffness (especially tired limbs and stiff joints);
- energise by invigorating all body systems;
- reduce fatigue and trigger a more positive mood.
In the long-term massage will:
- improve skin elasticity and slow down skin ageing;
- improve circulation and help regulate blood pressure (treat high and low blood pressure conditions);
- boost immunity against illness and disease;
- improve muscle suppleness and tone;
- improve neural communication and relax the nervous system (preventing muscle spasms caused by anxiety);
- enable deeper, more effective respiration;
- enable sustained relaxation of body and mind;
- relieve insomnia;
- balance the digestive system / help treat IBS;
- improve body image, awareness and general self-esteem;
- increase energy levels (with less energy expended on holding the body in a state of tension and strain).
Book your next massage here.
What our clients are saying about our massage treatments...
I recently had a back, neck and shoulder massage from Angela. The whole experience was very relaxing and welcoming. From start to finish I had faith in knowing I would get the best experience tailored to my needs. Some areas needed work more than others and Angela focused on getting the difficult knots out of my shoulders. Would highly recommend MindBody Oasis for both the atmosphere and staff☺️
Wow! What else can I say? Had a neck, shoulder and back massage with Esther last night. I have had many massages but this was by far the best! Then I had a Reflexology treatment which was amazing. Thank you very much Esther. Next treatment already booked. Looking forward to it very much.
Great massage with Angela - put me at ease right from the start as was my first time here as a birthday gift. Lovely touch with the hot towels on feet and targeted areas where I have most tension. really great personalised massage. I will be back!
Myself and Sophie went for a full Swedish body massage from Angela and it was a great experience. Full consultation prior to the massage making us both feel really comfortable in a relaxing environment. We both felt very relaxed afterwards and would highly recommend Angela or Esther for anyone looking to take an hour out of their day to relax and enjoy a massage. Thank you - great service
Had a wonderful experience with Mind Body Oasis. It turned out to be just what I needed after a stressful couple of months.
Firstly, both and Angela and Esther are absolutely lovely ladies who make you feel very at ease.
Secondly, I loved the treatments I had. I had the Swedish full body massage and a couple of weeks later, I had the age loc mud facial (both with Esther). The massage was fantastic. It was very relaxing and helped to relieve tension I had in my body, especially in my shoulders and in my calves.
The facial was also great and helped to deeply cleanse my problematic skin. Both treatments were great for resetting my mind and preparing me for the next working day.
I can't wait to come back and try more treatments! Thank you, ladies xx
Esther is a talented and knowledgeable therapist, who takes the time to explain your treatment and makes sure you're comfortable throughout. I can particularly recommend the hot stones massage, and face and foot reflexology.
I would recommend the Indian Head massage and reflexology. I have had both treatments and they were truly amazing.
Esther is very professional and her treatments are something else. This is why I am going to continue having regular treatments.
I had the Swedish full body massage with Esther, at the end of a busy weeks work. What a wonderful experience, aching and tense muscles relieved and relaxed and reset for the weekend. Took advantage of the brilliant 2 for 1 offer had an aromatherapy full body massage with Angela, her specialist post cancer care and lovely oil mix totally rebalanced and recharged. Thank you ladies!
I spoke to Esther about a back, neck and shoulder massage for the purposes of relief of tension. The treatment was effective and I was able to fully relax and switch off; something I deeply value in the busyness that is life! I have recommended Esthers treatments to friends and I am happy to offer a 5* review.
Esther is the most giving, caring massage and age defence therapist you could ever wish for. She is 5* all the way. Thank you Esther for extending my birthday celebrations with your "beyond the call of duty" pampering.